Tuesday, January 19, 2010

2nd Week (13 Jan 2010)

What is Social media? Social media designed to be spread through social interaction. It uses the Internet and web-based technologies.

So, “does social media in the classroom require a textbook?”
In my opinion, I feel that it is NOT compulsory that all students have to own a textbook for social media classes as as defined, social media is a form of interaction. How are students going to learn how to interact with people through text books? I feel that through class participations(hands on activities), students will be able to learn more life skills than reading definitions from text books. Moreover, social media creates awareness to the public via the Internet and web-based technologies. Learning how to create web sites, video etc will arouse students' curiosity,interest and might even inspire their creativity, rather than reading textbooks or Guides for Dummies on how to create websites. For example,“The Great Schlep” is one of the most interesting way of promoting a campaign, and this cannot be taught from a text book. It requires innovation and hands on skills. Therefore, I strongly feel that social media in the classroom does not require a textbook. (Save the tress, Save Earth, and Save MONEY).

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on your statement - its is not compulsory that all students have to own a textbook for social media classes. I, myself, feel that I learn more when I am put out there to do the activities compared to times when I'm asked to read from my textbook. But not everyone is the same, some people feel there is a need to have a textbook as they are more auditory or kinesthetic.

    But at the end of the day, I'm sure that there has to be a balance of source of information- textbooks as well as hands on activities. Once you have a wider spread of sources, you will be able to learn much more than an average person who only sticks to one type of method of sourcing out information or learning a new skill.

    ReplyDelete